Just because I post it on the internet.........

I was listening to the radio on the way to work this morning and heard a random story about an athlete turned reality television star. Some of the cast members on the show were being interviewed and were talking about the star's health and whether or not he would return to his chosen sports profession. Then I listened to the commentary from the radio show personalities. People really take television seriously. They take reality television seriously too. Anyone can sit on television in an interview and say whatever they please and people will take them seriously because they said it. I have learned not to do this as much as I've gotten older.

That got me to thinking about the internet. On Facebook, there are these pages that are created to put people on blast. The pages can be for fathers who don't provide for their children, promiscuous women, bisexual men, beauty contests, would you sleep with this person pages, and probably anything else someone with a half of mind to create something similar could think of. I see the immediate problem with these pages that others may not.....or don't care to see because drama and gossip are exciting. Nothing on the pages has to be true. It just has to be typed. I can create a Facebook page RIGHT NOW for men who have HIV and  download random pictures of people from Facebook, type up a story about how they got infected, and leave the rest up to everyone's imagination. Part of me would want to be disturbed by the number of people who would believe the entries on the page without question. The other part of me knows better.

The internet is the information super highway. But as with everything else in life, just because something appears to be true doesn't mean that it is. People keep talking about all this illuminati stuff. It's scary to think that people want to control your minds, thoughts, actions, and everything else in between. It dawned on me though, that if the illuminati is such a secret organization, how is it that all this information about it is so readily and easily available on the internet. The last time I checked, when the government didn't want you to know about something, YOU DIDN'T KNOW. I'm not saying that the whole illuminati thing is false. I'm just wondering why people put so much stock into it because you can google it or youtube the breakdown of all the symbolism in music videos.

Hollywood has always, in my opinion, been about smoke screens and shiny things anyway. I don't know how much of anything that's outside of the realm of my immediate circle is real and how much is fake. I do know that it's confusing. I do know that it's distracting. And I do know that I can't spend too much of my time being bothered by information trends, fads, and nonsense. It's almost like information isn't information anymore. It's opinionmation. *SO WHAT I JUST MADE THAT UP* I can irresponsibly take my opinion, mix it with some information, and call it the truth. THEN I can post it on the internet and have other people call it the truth.

Some people aren't comfortable with not having definitive answers. I'm that way with certain things. I like to know why more than most people I know. I'm comfortable with not knowing things that are beyond the scope of my understanding though. I'm comfortable with not knowing some of the who, what, why, and how that happens in this life. The more you dig, the more you uncover, and the more you realize that you can't know everything. The more you dig, the more you uncover, and the more you realize that some of this "information" isn't really information at all. Just because I see it posted on the internet.....just because they report it on the news......just because I hear someone say it in an interview.......just because I read it with my own eyes DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE. Be more discerning with what you choose to receive as the truth, take gossip and unverifiable information with a grain of salt, and allow your perspective to evolve. You have a responsibility to your sanity to do so.

Comments

  1. Just because its posted on the internet doesn't make you less responsible for the content that you decide to display. Its still real life in some sorts just played out in the cyber world with a broader audience. I feel like if there were restrictions for the internet more than half the people that log wouldn't be able to so I think it should be used with alittle more maturity. Everything is for everyone'e eyes to see

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What leaving Facebook showed me about myself

An Honest Assessment of My Love Life

Beyonce, Trump, and The War on Black Unity