How Do You Compare The Incomparable?

I discovered Estelle's new song Thank You Wednesday night waiting for some food at a local sub shop. I listened carefully to the lyrics of the song to see whether or not I could relate to what she was singing. And I could. I made a mental note to myself to YouTube the song and put it in a playlist for future reference.

I was reading the comment section of the video post and someone noted that Mary J. Blige would "have killed this song but Estelle did a good job" or something like that. That made me wonder why we like to do that. And by that I mean compare (and potentially replace). It caused me to think about the song and how well Estelle did (or didn't do). That seed, planted by someone who instead of accepting what is longed for what could be, is planted regularly. I'm not sure if the people who are planting the seeds are always looking for "something better". I'm not sure if they are in search of perfection. But it seems like it's a seed of dissatisfaction. I'm not quite sure though. I think about when I do it.

We're taught so many contradictions it's crazy. Someone posted one on Facebook yesterday. I'll paraphrase : Practice makes perfect. Perfection doesn't exist. Why do we keep practicing? My immediate thought is that perfection does exist. It's our idea about it that seems out of wack. A great example of this for me is Lauryn Hill's Unplugged CD. It was live. It was raw. It contained what most people would consider to be mistakes. But when I listen to it, it is perfect to me...."mistakes" and all. And to me that was closer to perfection than Miseducation. (There I go comparing again)

We expect for life to come without falls and blemishes. That looks really good. But when you look at life retrospectively, the falls and blemishes are all part of a perfect plan. But let me get back to my original point. When someone creates something, whatever IT is should probably be looked at as the "perfection". Especially when you don't necessarily have a goal in mind when creating. You can argue that things can be improved upon but then my thought would be, whatever the "new" thing is it's a different thing. And it's a perfect version of the "different thing".

I find myself slipping in and out of my E.Volution more frequently than I would like. The progression and regression bother me but I understand that it's all part of my process. And I remind myself that if I want to stay in touch with E.Volve, I can make a conscious effort to connect with the people, places, things, thoughts, and ideas that move me closer to her. In the meantime, I will be mindful of when I try to compare the incomparable. Because whatever is SUPPOSED to be IS.

Peace

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What leaving Facebook showed me about myself

An Honest Assessment of My Love Life

Beyonce, Trump, and The War on Black Unity