What I learned in Boston

I was recently in Boston for a work-related conference this past weekend. I flew on an airplane for the first time in my life on Thursday, November 12, 2015. That was one of the benefits of going to the conference. People kept asking if I was scared or nervous. I almost didn't understand the question because I was so curious and excited about flying. It dawned on me later that flying on an airplane is an act of faith. That's not a dramatization. People have lost their lives while flying. It made me think about how fragile life can be. The fragility wasn't my primary thought though. I was too excited and curious about the experience to focus the majority of my energy on anything else. I did look up at one point and realize that I was the only black person on my flight. I didn't feel anyway about it at first. I just noticed. Then I thought what that experience could be like in a hostile environment.

I was in the sky. I was above the clouds. I was doing something that I said I was going to do.


I was seated next to a middle-aged white male salesman from Boston. We talked about politics. And we did it respectfully. We talked about race. We did it respectfully. We shared our perspectives. We didn't try to be right. We didn't try to compete. We just talked. It was interesting.

The conference that I attended was about research. I chose very specific breakout sessions that I believed would help me either in my job, my personal life, or my business. I took notes when it was appropriate for me to do so. I absorbed information when I felt like it was relevant. I people watched and thought about how experiences are so very different for so many people.

I met one of my internet friends while in Boston. We realized that we've known each other for about 10 years. We've managed to stay connected through 4 social media platforms. We talked about life, being moms, love & men, some of our accomplishments, and some of our challenges. She'll be the reason I revisit Boston.

My cell phone charger didn't work properly while I was away. I watched my battery life struggle. I realized how I don't know telephone numbers by heart anymore. I realized how when my cell battery is on 3%, I get really creative about executing communication.

Here are some other things I learned about myself (or things that were reinforced):
I realized that when I pay attention to facts, I save myself from emotional bull.
I realized that I can tell when a person isn't interested in me more by what they don't do.
I realized that my current inclination when put in less than stellar situations is to default to pessimism and pouting.
I realized that I have to actively engage myself to be an optimist.
I realized that being in love is still a magical place that I want to be in.
I realized that I have a lot to learn and while it's intimidating, it's not enough to stop me.
I realized that fantasy has its place and that the pleasure seeker in me wants it on front street.


I was very happy to get on the plane to fly back home. I was happy to see my children. I was happy to be back in my space. I was happy for the entire experience. I'm looking forward to doing it again.

Comments

  1. Congrats on losing your virginity, in that regard. Pretty sure in the preparation you had at least one person remark how other means of transportation are just as dangerous, if not more-so. Sounds like the conference itself was successfully beneficial for you as far as research into your personal life if you got all those realizations while there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What leaving Facebook showed me about myself

An Honest Assessment of My Love Life

Beyonce, Trump, and The War on Black Unity