Fear Factor



So one of my social media friends, friend in my head, and sister in the future posted this yesterday and when I tell you IT STOPPED ME COLD IN MY TRACKS. I started doing some healing work Sunday night and this was the perfect reflection opportunity.

I talk a lot of about there are Five Big Emotions/Feelings that, when they grow out of control, start to push us around and make us do things that we either don't realize, feel like we can't control, and/or don't want to do. Those FBEs are fear, anger, guilt, shame, and sadness. I am, in real time, reflecting on fear right now. This meme helped me to hone on in fear and its role in my life.

Fear has some control over my "yes". It had some control over my "no". It keeps them at just enough of a distance to make it appear that I'm doing what I need to do for myself and others. EXCEPT what I'm saying "yes" to is not the thing in my life that I actually want for myself. It's the thing that will make people like me. It's the thing that will make people believe that I am kind. It's the thing that will help people to feel supported. I like when people like me. I like when I am perceived as kind. I like the idea that I am experienced as supportive. In and of themselves, these are not bad things. EXCEPT when they are motivated and orchestrated by fear.

As long as I can remember, fear has been a part of my decision-making process. I feared missing out on opportunities. I feared seeming selfish by putting myself and my needs first. I feared outcomes and so I moved with the illusion of control to ensure that certain outcomes were guaranteed. A life seemed to comply. It seemed to cooperate. That reinforced the use of fear as a tool for me.

And now I see that getting clear doesn't live anywhere near fear. Getting clear takes courage. Getting clear means that people might be upset with my no or my yes. *stares at the shrinking people pleaser* Getting clear means that structure is coming. And if you know me, you know that I've avoided structure because I misunderstood it to mean a hindrance on my freedom. WHOLE TIME, it's one of the major keys to freedom.

What happens to my life when I make a firm decision about what I want for it and then say no to any and everything that is not that? Peace, security, freedom, and joy ensue. Fear diminishes and reduces and eventually dissipates.

I used fear before as a motivator. I didn't know that this was what I was doing all the time. I knew that it was what I was doing too much of the time though. So today, I start saying no to fear...since it's not the kind of life I actually want and it is the very thing that doesn't belong in the one I do want.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Honest Assessment of My Love Life

What leaving Facebook showed me about myself

Beyonce, Trump, and The War on Black Unity