I'm not being facetious, I'd really like to know.........

So there's this trick that I noticed that people who "inform" perform. (I know because I've done it too.) First they find your sore spot or emotional wound. Next they present you with information that presses on the sore spot or reopens the emotional wound (or at least attempts to break it back open). Then they get you riled up and emotionally charged. You scream. You argue. You Facebook. You Tweet. You Blog. You converse amongst your friends about the situation. THEN WHAT?

I've never been a fan of marching, petitioning, wearing ribbons, etc. I HAVE never been a fan. I don't knock how people choose to fight this way. I just don't fight that way. I recognize the effectiveness of creating awareness. People need to know what's going on in the world. But after they know, THEN WHAT? After you've marched then what? After you've signed the petition or worn the ribbon, then what? And I'm not being facetious, I really would like to know.

Do you talk to people who are part of the problem and/or solution? Do you do anything outside of the symbolic gestures? I guess in reality I am judging people who think it's intelligent to mail a package of candy to the police. And I guess in reality, I understand the idea of flooding people's telephones with calls for justice.   What I don't understand is that people don't understand OR CARE that it interrupts the normal flow of daily business. Someone else could be calling in with a viable emergency but can't get through because the lines are busy. No matter though because my calls for justice are more important than those calls right? What I don't understand is why people think it's ok to give out a man's home address information because he killed someone and hasn't been prosecuted YET. Is it because you KNOW or ASSUME that justice will not be served?

Fighting fire with fire makes sense. Fighting fire with emotions doesn't to me. We feel helpless when things happen to us. We move to action but the actions don't always make sense. But because the majority of us are moving in the same direction, we keep moving in that direction. Even if it doesn't make sense. When was the last time we beat the originators of the game by playing the same game? Again, I'm not being facetious. I'd really like to know. We need REAL solutions to our problems. We need to learn how to fight effectively and in a way that it makes sense. Some would argue that they are doing that already by doing what they're doing. I'd like to know how that's working out for them. And I'm not being facetious, I really would like to know.

And while we're at it, can we stop killing each other too?

Comments

  1. I GET THE YOUR POINT OF VIEW BUT SOME PEOPLE NEED TO SEE PHYSICAL EVIDENCE THAT A PEOPLE ARE UNITED- I APPRECIATE THAT THE INTERNET IS GIVING US NEW WAYS TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX TO SHOW UNITY ON A COMMON CAUSE, PROBLEM, OR ISSUE- BUT PC'S CAN BE HACKED & DEBATED- SHOWING ACROSS THE COUNTRY PEOPLE GATHERING IN OVER THE HUNDREDS- SCARY FOR THE OPPOSITION. I ATTENDED THE MILLION MAN MARCH IN DC OCTOBER 16, 1995 (THE ORIGINAL & 1ST ONE)- I AM A FIRM BELIEVER THAT A LOT OF THE VOTING CHANGES (POLITICIANS HAD TO LOOK @ THAT AS POTENTIAL BUSINESS GAIN/LOSS TO THEIR SEAT/POSITION), THE WAY BLACK PEOPLE ARE VIEWED (UNTIL THAT EVENT THERE WAS A STEREOTYPE THAT WHEN MORE THAN 100 BLACK MEN GET TOGETHER THERE IS GOING TO BE VIOLENCE), AND THE HOPE FOR CHANGE WAS SPARKED OR AT LEAST BRIGHTEN AFTER THAT SHOW OF SOLIDARITY.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What leaving Facebook showed me about myself

An Honest Assessment of My Love Life

Beyonce, Trump, and The War on Black Unity