Dropping "EFF" bombs.......literally

Anyone who knows me knows that I cuss. A LOT. And while I don't cuss all day every day of my life, I speak with a very colorful language sometimes. I cuss when I am happy. I cuss when I am angry (especially). I cuss when I am frustrated. I cuss when I am hurt.

Yesterday and some days before that, I was angry about what someone close to me was being subjected to. My reaction during the conversation was filled with the proclamation "FUCK _________________" I said it. I meant it when I said it. I meant it after I said it.





AND THEN IT HIT ME to ask myself, "What do you mean when you're telling someone FUCK YOU or saying "FUCK ______________"? What does that mean?





I never thought about it before. I NEVER thought about what it meant to me before. I just used the words....caustically and passionately. All this recent talk about rape culture and misogyny filtered its way into my thought process. Ellen Gee, what do you mean when you tell someone "fuck you" or when you say "fuck ________________"?

Do you mean that you literally want someone to be fucked because they have made you angry? If so, why? If not, why are you using that word? Why THAT word. Fuck for me translates to sex and I asked myself what does sex have to do with this person in this moment? NOTHING. There's nothing that correlates between this person's behavior and sex for me so why I am choosing to use THAT word to express my disdain for their actions?


Here's one of the conversations I had where I processed the realization initially. Some of this is comedic. All of it is serious. I've removed information and comments to make my point more succinct.

Some people would read this and say "I'm still going to use the word fuck. It's not that deep to me." To them I say, I understand. Some people might read this and think "GIRL BYE." To them I say, later gator.

FOR ME and MY LIFE, saying "fuck you", using the word "motherfucker" and fuck when I'm not specifically talking about sexual acts to someone reminds me of rape culture. So today, I purge "fuck" from my vocabulary. This will be interesting.


is "fuck you" a product of rape culture?
SHIT
It sounds like it is
DAMMIT


I think so. Every time I read Fuck ******* when you type it, it conjures violent thoughts that I don't want to have and I have to push them away. Interestingly enough, when I SAY the words, it doesn't. READ VS. SAY. HMMMM.
shit

I gotta rethink that
FOR SURE
like motherfucker
I'm going to have to stop cussing lol


motherfucker too
SHIT


When I read it when it's meant angrily, violent sex enters my mind
Yup
black woman magic doesn't go with motherfucker and fuck you
well
there's that
lol

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What leaving Facebook showed me about myself

An Honest Assessment of My Love Life

Beyonce, Trump, and The War on Black Unity